03 August, 2015

#MicroblogMondays: Not sleeping? A tip.

When I lived in Thailand as a teenager, I kept a diary. Turns out, I’m crap at keeping diaries - Samuel Pepys or Anne Frank I am not! My daily entries often consisted of a list of what I’d eaten - interesting only because I was living in Thailand – but they tell me little about how I felt or what I was thinking. My letters home though, were much more enlightening, perhaps because I like to talk to people, and a letter – like a blog - is more of a conversation?

Blogging too is more like writing letters, and tells me much more about my thoughts and feelings than keeping a diary every did for me. Except for when I was going through infertility and loss, when I was often kept awake at night, thinking about treatments or my losses and the details - always the details - of what had happened recently. I would go over and over events and hormone levels and doctor’s comments, in an effort to remember them, worried I'd forget the details of what I'd been through, or worried about what people might be thinking, and what I might say to them. Finally, I realised that writing these things down before I went to bed freed me of that need to churn it all over and over, it reduced my stress levels, and made it so much easier to turn off my brain, breathe deeply, and fall asleep. 

11 comments:

  1. Writing has been such a Godsend. It's allowed me both to get things out of my brain and also to process them.

    And I'm terrible at diaries too

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly. That's what I love.

      (I'm so glad I'm not the only one terrible at diaries!)

      Delete
  2. When I was her age people told me I looked a bit like Anne Frank. I never knew how to take that (I didn't want to become famous for dying horribly and young)

    And writing the details down helped me too. It still helps when I'm packing for a trip and afraid to forget something. Pen and paper on my bedside table for those middle of the night ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm another person who doesn't do well with a diary. I started my blog as opposed to journaling because I've never been able to stick with journaling so I thought that with a blog I would have the accountability of writing for people to read.

    I wish I'd read this last night before I went to bed. I'm so tired and can't sleep well for anything.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The blog seems to have replaced my diary, I use to journal for hours when I was traveling, and find them fun revisits of my heart and mind then...sometimes quite embarrassing or crass other times heartbreaking. I am thankful for that stack of books filled with words...but my blog...my blog has allowed me to track my moods, speak to a beloved group of peers and free my heart. I am glad you blog so well, you are always an inspiration to me!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Writing is a wonderful tool for getting through tough situations. Add me to the list of people who struggle with keeping a diary, however. Ever since I started blogging, I've noticed it's easier to use the format of a post to write whatever is bothering me - it gets it out of my head and onto the page - even if I never wind up actually sharing it in the end.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I used to be really good at writing in my diary, and now I am terribly sporadic. I think in part because I write so much in my blog about my experiences, but then it's mostly connected to infertility and adoption, which is not the whole of my experience (as much as it can feel that way). I did used to write before bed, and it was super soothing. I think "emptying the brain" can be a great way to reflect on the day and just get those thoughts that may circle around at night out so you can rest peacefully. Great advice!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ha -- I wish my bullet journal did that for me. Yes, it does help a bit knowing that the information will be there in the journal if I need to look it up and therefore don't need to obsess to remember it. But I still obsess.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I used to keep diaries when I was younger. (They are in the closet at my parents & I need to bring them home with me someday. Not sure I will read them or just stash them away in a dark corner of another closet, lol.) My attempts at journaling have kind of petered out since I got married, but I do view my blog as a journal of sorts. Although, as Jess notes above, it's not entirely reflective of my whole life. But it's better than nothing. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh yes, it does help a lot in stopping me from repeating the thoughts over and over...and more often than not, whilst in the process of writing down my thoughts/feelings, I get a breakthrough! I did write a diary of sorts since I was a teenager, but because I was afraid of their being read, I tended to use symbols and acronyms or poems in my diary. I brought them with me to Finland when I moved here in 2007.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great advice. Definitely purging your brain of what's going running through your mind can help to quiet our minds and allow us to rest. (Side note: Thanks for mentioning a while back on one of your blogs that you use the app Calm for meditation. I downloaded it after that and I love it!)

    ReplyDelete